The Client Challenge
As the physician enterprise of a comprehensive healthcare delivery system, a medical group of more than 900 providers sought to identify opportunities to advance performance and strengthen the organization after the recent integration of multiple entities across four distinct regions. Building on internal initiatives underway, leadership was actively working to address variability in clinical and financial outcomes, build “systemness,” and drive full value across all locations.
OPPORTUNITIES TO CREATE VALUE:
- Direct patient revenue capture
- Network revenue retention
- Strategic execution and change management
- Clinical differentiation/reputation-fueled growth
- Hospital cost improvement
- Provider subject matter expertise deployment
- System clinical thought leadership
- Population health/value-based payment performance
Navigating to Next: The Solution
The Chartis Group partnered with the medical group to conduct a rapid assessment of its physician enterprise to identify strengths, pinpoint areas of opportunity, and make recommendations for prioritization of system initiatives. The assessment was conducted for the system as a whole and for each of the four regions. Core activities performed at both the system and regional levels included:
- Focused interviews with clinical and operational leaders and a review of high-level performance data.
- Scoring across essential capability areas in comparison to leading practice.
- Identifying areas of strength and opportunity, key themes, and insights, shared with the leadership team and Medical Group Council.
- Developing prioritized recommendations across multiple areas, including advancement of systemness, an integrated care team model, clinical variation management, a stronger front-end revenue cycle, a digital-forward approach to consumer engagement, and more robust adoption of technology and analytics.